Senior Manager, Internal Controls and Compliance
nLIGHT is a rapidly growing publicly listed company (NASDAQ: LASR). nLIGHT is a global leader in high-power semiconductor and fiber lasers for industrial, microfabrication, aerospace, and defense applications. Headquartered in Vancouver, WA, nLIGHT employs over 1,000 people with operations in the U.S., China, and Finland.
The Senior Manager – Internal Controls and Compliance is responsible for the overall execution of nLIGHT’s Sarbanes-Oxley compliance program and annual assessment of internal controls over financial reporting (ICOFR). This position will work closely with the external audit firm and key process/control owners across the organization to implement or maintain effective, cost efficient and consistent control procedures, identify opportunities for improvement, and provide reports to management and audit committee.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage and coordinate key aspects of annual SOX compliance program to ensure appropriate internal controls over financial reporting (ICOFR), including but not limited to planning, scoping, risk assessment, key control analysis, documentation, testing and evaluation of deficiencies.
- Provide leadership and technical guidance for compliance with internal control requirements.
- Stay current on developments in the audit profession, industry and within the company and act as a resource for subject matter knowledge of key business processes.
- Work directly with business partners and external auditors to facilitate the annual control assessment process and improve audit efficiency.
- Collaborate with process/controls owners to ensure flowcharts and related documentation of key business processes are accurately maintained.
- Work closely with IT department and IT service providers to understand, document, and evaluate in-scope application systems and automated application controls.
- Identify opportunities for increased efficiency and cost savings.
- Manage and review the work of contractors engaged to assist in management’s annual assessment and assess controls related to outsourced serviced providers.
- Communicate control deficiencies to process/control owners and provide recommendations for remediation.
- Identify, evaluate, document and monitor the remediation of control deficiencies.
- Prepare reports to management and audit committee as needed.
- Participate in system implementations to advise on ways to increase process automation while enhancing internal controls.
- Cross-train with other financial functions to provide support and backup.
- Assist in finance related special projects as requested.
- Set high standards of professional, technical and business conduct for self as dictated by finance department and corporate requirements.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance or related field. Master's degree preferred.
- CPA preferred.
- Minimum eight (8) years’ experience in internal controls testing, SOX documentation, and global compliance audits
- Previous experience building and managing a world class auditing organization or managing audits at a global, traded company required
- Strong knowledge of U.S. GAAP/Sarbanes Oxley and the ability to research guidance to determine proper accounting treatment
- Experience in a manufacturing environment highly preferred
- Strong data analysis experience and skills; must be able to dive deep into data, call out trends, and make recommendations to influence results
- Deep knowledge of audit methodologies, SOX controls, and remediating compliance issues
- Proven ability to independently evaluate controls over business and financial processes.
- Able to assert own ideas and actively demonstrate influencing skills to persuade others at all levels in the company, in determining position on control issues.
- Demonstrated ‘out-of-the-box’ innovative thinking related to deploying cutting edge, robust audit programs to geographically dispersed teams
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; must be able to succinctly and accurately articulate information and data
- Coordinate work with external auditors
- Global change management experience
- Experience with automated accounting and ERP systems, Microsoft Dynamics AX desirable
nLIGHT is subject to US Export Control regulations. To qualify for this position, a Foreign Person (that is, not a US Citizen or legal Permanent Resident) must be eligible for a deemed export license under the US Department of Commerce and/or the US Department of State.
Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or age. For more information about our commitment to equal employment opportunity, please see these government posters: “EEO is the Law” and its accompanying temporary supplement. If you are an individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation in the application or hiring process, please contact Human Resources at (360) 566-4460 or Hr@nlight.net. Apply for this position