Process and Test Engineer
nLIGHT is a rapidly growing publicly listed company (NASDAQ: LASR). nLIGHT is a global leader in high-power semiconductor and fiber lasers for industrial, microfabrication, aerospace, and defense applications. Headquartered in Vancouver, WA, nLIGHT employs over 1,000 people with operations in the U.S., China, and Finland.
- Ownership of existing Test Equipment and development of new capability.
- Lead and execute process development in the area of packaging with automated and semi-automated tools.
- As process owner, be able to demonstrate process steps to others for training & certification purposes
- Ability to take on Process and Test ownership with minute attention to details
- Support transition of new products from prototype to volume production utilizing, FMEA, DFSS and DFM.
- Coordinate effectively with cross functional groups (Suppliers, Operations, Engineering, Supply Chain, and Quality) to drive improvements, Failure analysis, yield improvements and cost reduction.
- Provide technical leadership and support to customer facing teams for resolving stakeholder concerns and business development.
- Drive continuous improvement opportunities and yield metrics utilizing wide variety of analytical techniques (such as SPC, DOE, Gauge R&R), lean manufacturing and six sigma concepts.
- Support manufacturing of released processes and products including generating BOMs and routers, documenting work instructions and support training of personnel.
- Evaluate, procure, and qualify new manufacturing equipment and tools.
- Direct daily activities of engineering technicians
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Material Science, Mechanical, Chemical, Systems engineering or exceptional industrial experience in closely related technologies.
- 3+ years’ experience in Test Engineering, Process or product development using Equipment with high degree of Automation involving precision components, SMT or wafer fab.
- Process and Project ownership with on-hands approach to development and problem solving.
- Strong record of problem solving and data analysis through structured methodologies
- Strong understanding of Qualification of Equipment for High volume manufacturing and Automated tools including limitations
- Excellent technical project management and teaming skills. Strong leadership and situational skills, able to lead cross-functional and multi-site teams
- Understanding of new product introduction, qualification, and product lifecycle process.
- Experience in setting up new product lines and transitioning into automated high volume production.
- In addition to the above qualifications, the ideal candidate embraces teamwork and mentoring opportunities among engineering, technician, and operations environments.
- Ability to improvise and utilize limited resources to obtain results and meeting schedules
- MS or PhD in EE, Materials or Mechanical Engineering
- Design of Automated high precision tools and assemblies
- Custom design on Optical benches and or Electrical test stations.
- Knowledge and understanding of optical fibers, fiber assemblies and termination, optics, test (esp. data analysis), laser diodes and a variety of metrology/characterization/failure analysis techniques.
- Hands on working experience with optical fibers, lasers, optics and precision opto-mechanical systems and tools.
- Knowledge of electrical schematics, mechanical drawings, basic tooling and fixture design.
- Background with the following processes and equipment is preferred: Optical Test benches, die attach/bonding, wire/ribbon bonding, vacuum solder reflow ovens, optical fiber alignment, hermetic seam sealing, solder and epoxies, electro-optical, electro-pneumatic and pressurized gas systems.
nLIGHT is subject to US Export Control regulations. To qualify for this position, a Foreign Person (that is, not a US Citizen or legal Permanent Resident) must be eligible for a deemed export license under the US Department of Commerce and/or the US Department of State.
Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or age. For more information about our commitment to equal employment opportunity, please see these government posters: “EEO is the Law” and its accompanying temporary supplement. If you are an individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation in the application or hiring process, please contact Human Resources at (360) 566-4460 or Hr@nlight.net. Apply for this position