Field Application and Service Engineer
nLIGHT is a rapidly growing publicly listed company (NASDAQ: LASR). nLIGHT is a global leader in high-power semiconductor and fiber lasers for industrial, microfabrication, aerospace, and defense applications. Headquartered in Vancouver, WA, nLIGHT employs over 1,000 people with operations in the U.S., China, and Finland.
This is a mid-level engineering role supporting and troubleshooting the integration of nLIGHT fiber lasers with our customers’ machine systems and providing remedial services as needed. In this position you will work with sales in the development of key customers, as well as providing support to existing customers.
- Working with customers via phone/email to assist in the diagnosis, repair and integration of nLIGHT’s lasers including safety interfacing, hardwired control I/O, GUI/API interface, and common industrial fieldbus network protocols
- Serve as a subject matter expert on the operation and integration of nLIGHT lasers in sales discussions with new potential customers either remotely via phone/email or onsite at customer facilities
- Present results and findings to groups of customers or applications partners including audiences of novices, technical experts, or executive management.
- Join Sales Account Managers on sales calls to promote the technical features and benefits of nLIGHT industrial fiber lasers for cutting and welding
- Provide feedback and recommendations to Management, Technical Support Customer Service and Sales on nLIGHT product and process improvements
- Deliver basic maintenance and repair training to nLIGHT Customers, Partners and fellow Customer Support Engineers
- Up to 80% travel for short periods of time. Mostly during the work-week
- Must have a valid driver’s license and U.S. passport
- Minimum BS Engineering degree in electrical, computer science, or similar disciplines
- Minimum 3 years of experience in a similar engineering role
- Excellent interpersonal skills for customer communication and technical presentations.
- Demonstrated problem solving abilities in high-stress, down-production situations.
- Strong mechanical aptitude is a plus; experienced with hand tools, power tools, precision devices, and metrology equipment.
- Good eyesight – able to see and safely handle 125um optical fiber
- Working knowledge of MS Word and Excel
- Previous training in problem solving and quality improvement tools (8D, Pareto, etc.)
- Experience in supporting process development of components, sub-systems, fibers, precision optical/electro-mechanical assemblies
- Assist customers with development and debug of PLC-based control and interfacing.
nLIGHT is subject to US Export Control regulations. To qualify for this position, a Foreign Person (that is, not a US Citizen or legal Permanent Resident) must be eligible for a deemed export license under the US Department of Commerce and/or the US Department of State.
Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or age. For more information about our commitment to equal employment opportunity, please see these government posters: “EEO is the Law” and its accompanying temporary supplement. If you are an individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation in the application or hiring process, please contact Human Resources at (360) 566-4460 or Hr@nlight.net. Apply for this position