Business Unit Controller
nLIGHT is a vertically integrated supplier of high-performance lasers that enable innovation in materials processing, microelectronics and defense applications. nLIGHT develops and manufactures fiber lasers based on industry-leading semiconductor laser and optical fiber technology. nLIGHT is a publicly held company headquartered in Vancouver, Washington with additional sites in North America, Asia and Europe. nLIGHT lasers are not only changing the way things are made, but what can be made.
As a critical member of nLight and the Finance team, the Business Unit Controller will be responsible for providing insight to management through financial analysis and reporting to improve business decision-making and corporate profitability. This position will be working with executive leadership and will require someone with very high personal and professional values, strong leadership and influence skills, and a desire to learn and grow with the company.
A successful candidate will be resourceful in identifying key drivers to improve financial performance and identifying and minimizing risk, skilled in distilling information into meaningful communications to executive leadership, and effective in partnering with all organizations and levels within the company to help facilitate and lead improvement efforts. In addition, continuous improvement in the quality and availability of data on which decisions are made will be critical.
- Financial Analysis – Using various financial modeling methods, provide financial analysis for business decisions and investment opportunities. Update, develop, and improve costing/pricing and detailed product cost-to-build models, including working with other departments to gather relevant inputs and supporting product transition plans, to drive margin improvement to support forecast assumptions. Prepare insightful management reporting packages for business units and executive management.
- Financial Reporting and Controls – Safeguard that accounting is in accordance to accounting practices by escalating atypical transactions for review by Accounting and providing sound advice. Prepare open PO accruals and participate in monthly close, including review and explanation of results. Recommend, implement, and improve regular reporting and financial processes to help effectively manage budgets and control costs.
- Forecasting and Strategic Planning – Coordinate and prepare rolling forecast and strategic planning scenarios that meet business unit and overall corporate needs to support financial outlook and strategic initiatives. Using financial trending and other methods of analysis, provide guidance and advice to improve forecasting and reporting accuracy, improve results, and identify areas of risk.
- Business Partnering – Interact regularly with senior management to support needs and help drive improvements. Anticipate needs and respond to requests in a manner that demonstrates a depth of knowledge of the business, meets the needs of the user, and provides additional financial insight beyond the initial ask. Contribute ideas that improve profitability for the company.
- Corporate Reporting and Support - Support various corporate reporting, forecasting, analysis, and process improvement projects as assigned. This includes corporate margin forecasting and analysis, preparation of Board materials, and other analysis/projects reviewed with the CFO and other executives. Participate in corporate and cross-functional projects to achieve corporate goals and lead ‘tiger teams’ to accomplish targeted financial initiatives. Foster collaboration and partner with others within the Finance team to leverage expertise and work content. Solve business unit needs with an eye towards how to efficiency grow the solution to be available corporate-wide.
- Reporting Systems – Participate in the design, development, and on-going maintenance of models, databases, and hierarchies to improve accuracy, usability, and availability of data within Corporate reporting systems.
- Master’s Degree and/or relevant certification preferred, with focus on finance
- 10+ years’ related experience, ideally in high tech or semiconductor manufacturing
- MS Excel power-user and general computer system aptitude. Experience creating dashboard reporting (PowerBI experience a plus) and using PowerPoint
- Experience utilizing various ERP systems (MS Dynamics AX particularly helpful)
- Team player with well-developed interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills
- Creative and tenacious problem-solver with strong analytical skills
- Ability to organize, manage, and timely deliver on multiple high-priority projects simultaneously
- To meet security and export control regulations, this position requires either U.S. Citizenship or U.S. Permanent Resident Alien Status.
nLIGHT is subject to US Export Control regulations. To qualify for this position, a Foreign Person (that is, not a US Citizen or legal Permanent Resident) must be eligible for a deemed export license under the US Department of Commerce and/or the US Department of State.
Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or age. For more information about our commitment to equal employment opportunity, please see these government posters: “EEO is the Law” and its accompanying temporary supplement. If you are an individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation in the application or hiring process, please contact Human Resources at (360) 566-4460 or Hr@nlight.net. Apply for this position