Assistant General Counsel
nLIGHT is a rapidly growing publicly listed company (NASDAQ: LASR). nLIGHT is a global leader in high-power semiconductor and fiber lasers for industrial, microfabrication, aerospace, and defense applications. Headquartered in Vancouver, WA, nLIGHT employs over 1,000 people with operations in the U.S., China, and Finland.
- Advises and provides legal support to senior management, sales and operational teams, human resources, and supply chain teams in pursuing business opportunities and negotiating and performing agreements with commercial and government entities.
- Provides legal, compliance and business risk analysis on wide variety of proposed transactions and relationships and ensures ongoing compliance with legal and contractual requirements.
- Provides legal and strategic business advice to business partners on a wide variety of compliance matters, including anti-corruption, data privacy, cyber security, government contracting (emphasis on FAR and DFARS), supplier certification, ITAR, IP rights, and export matters.
- Manages U.S. Government contracting compliance program, including development and implementation of compliance framework including assessment program, preparation of policies, procedures and other tools to enable compliant bidding and performance of contracts.
- Develops, administers, and presents templates, policies and training initiatives to build, enhance and promote an effective corporate compliance program and ensure compliance with applicable legal and contract requirements and nLIGHT policies and practices.
- Performs legal activities related to the acquisitions of new businesses and dispositions of existing businesses, including participating in due diligence reviews and negotiations of pertinent agreements.
- Directs the defense of nLIGHT against suits or claims while working with and managing outside counsel on an as-needed basis.
- Provides support to HR team members and advises them on implementation of HR initiatives under applicable privacy, labor and employment laws.
- Liaises with global external subject matter experts and outside counsel when necessary and acts as the interface between nLIGHT business teams and such experts and outside counsel.
- Assists and/or performs in any and all areas as assigned.
- Juris Doctor (JD) degree and active state bar membership.
- 5+ years of experience in a corporate legal environment or private practice of corporate legal matters.
- Experience in U.S. Federal Government contracting.
- Combination of nationally recognized law firm and in-house experience; government contracting experience preferred.
- Working knowledge of Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR), Defense Federal Acquisition Regulation Supplement (DFARS), International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and Export Administration Regulations (EAR).
Functional/Technical Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Superior organizational, analytical and communication skills, oral and written.
- Strategic thinker with excellent judgment as well and ability to see the "big picture."
- Demonstrated excellence at assessing risk and the implementation of proportional mitigation strategies.
- Collaborative nature; able to function within a team environment with a high level of engagement and motivation.
- Able to manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced work environment while maintaining attention to detail.
- Commercial acumen – able to balance legal risk with business objectives with a solution orientated mindset.
- Sound personal skills and confidence, with an ability to work under own initiative, often under cost or time critical conditions.
- Proficient in working with diverse variety of people from different cultures and backgrounds.
Position Specific Requirements:
- Ability and willingness to travel (domestic and international) up to 15% travel time.
- Eligibility for a Department of Defense Secret/Top Security clearance.
nLIGHT is subject to US Export Control regulations. To qualify for this position, a Foreign Person (that is, not a US Citizen or legal Permanent Resident) must be eligible for a deemed export license under the US Department of Commerce and/or the US Department of State.
Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or age. For more information about our commitment to equal employment opportunity, please see these government posters: “EEO is the Law” and its accompanying temporary supplement. If you are an individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation in the application or hiring process, please contact Human Resources at (360) 566-4460 or Hr@nlight.net. Apply for this position