nLIGHT is a rapidly growing publicly listed company (NASDAQ: LASR). nLIGHT is a global leader in high-power semiconductor and fiber lasers for industrial, microfabrication, aerospace, and defense applications. Headquartered in Vancouver, WA, nLIGHT employs over 1,000 people with operations in the U.S., China, and Finland.
The Payroll Specialist is responsible for the accurate and timely processing, calculation, payment, recording, filing, and reporting of multi-state payrolls and respective payroll taxes for salary and hourly employees in accordance with company policies and procedures, employment laws and regulations, and tax regulations (federal, state and local). This position reports to the Accounting Operations Manager.
- Process bi-weekly multi-state payrolls for 500+ employees including data entry, calculations (for non-standard and off-cycle payments), tracking of time & attendance records, payments in accordance with payroll calendar, and resolution of any issues that may arise during the payroll process.
- Work with 3rd parties to ensure timely processing, calculation, payment, recording, filing, and reporting of payroll taxes.
- Process employee payroll changes in accordance with company policies.
- Prepare and submit pretax benefit contributions and funding.
- Process employee stock transactions for annual W-2’s
- Train employees on payroll and time reporting policies and development of resources and tools to address recurring needs.
- Perform reconciliations and month-end journal entries during month/quarter/year-end close process.
- Support reviews and audits including the preparation of year-end schedules for the annual financial statements.
- Prepare payroll related reports for management and various groups within the company.
- Assist with special projects and other duties as assigned by manager.
Skills and Abilities:
- Positive attitude and excellent customer service skills with a diverse employee base.
- Ability to collaborate across the organization and establish/maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to work with details, while maintaining a view of the big picture.
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills, and ability to apply the appropriate tools and level of analysis to specific situations.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and discretion regarding employee records, personnel transactions, and sensitive issues affecting accounting and payroll.
- 5+ years payroll processing experience (multiple states preferred).
- HS Diploma or GED
- Experience w/mid-sized manufacturing or a publicly held company preferred.
- Solid proficiency with Excel and working knowledge of other Microsoft Office products.
- Understanding of Federal and State payroll tax requirements and labor laws.
nLIGHT is subject to US Export Control regulations. To qualify for this position, a Foreign Person (that is, not a US Citizen or legal Permanent Resident) must be eligible for a deemed export license under the US Department of Commerce and/or the US Department of State.
Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or age. For more information about our commitment to equal employment opportunity, please see these government posters: “EEO is the Law” and its accompanying temporary supplement. If you are an individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation in the application or hiring process, please contact Human Resources at (360) 566-4460 or Hr@nlight.net. Apply for this position