Senior Applications Engineer
Senior Applications Engineer
A senior applications engineer will serve as one of nLIGHT’s customer-facing technical experts specializing in laser material processing. To be recognized as a technical expert, a senior applications engineer must have extensive experience in high-power laser material interactions, programming robotic and CNC equipment, knowledge of material science or metallurgy, process troubleshooting skills, and manufacturing context to assert nLIGHT’s value proposition. This role will represent nLIGHT’s brand at technical forums, industry conferences, trade shows, and daily interactions with customers and partners and therefore must demonstrate confident technical presentation skills. In addition to the outward-facing activities, this role will be responsible for designing, managing, executing, and reporting process development projects conducted in nLIGHT’s applications labs for metal manufacturing processes. Relevant laser processing expertise should encompass cutting, welding, additive manufacturing, cladding, hardening, or similar high-power laser applications.
- Serve as a subject matter expert in laser cutting and welding of metals.
- Support sales and marketing teams with technical content and expertise for targeted metal manufacturing markets, regionally and globally.
- Develop, manage, execute, and document laser processing experiments for customer applications.
- Design and build application-specific laser processing tooling and fixtures.
- Operate, program, and maintain automated motion equipment including CNC and robotic systems.
- Provide remote and onsite process troubleshooting for strategic accounts or challenging applications.
- Diagnose optical, mechanical, pneumatic, hydraulic, and electrical components of automated laser processing systems to assess their effects on the performance of a laser application.
- Summarize applications project results into presentations for end-user case studies.
- Generate photos, videos, and market-tailored technical content for a variety of product marketing venues.
- Author technical articles and presentations on application examples and product features for international conferences, trade shows, and industry publications.
- Present laser applications content targeted to a variety of audiences (non-technical novice, technical peers, executive decision makers) while maintaining a consistent message and value proposition.
- Promote the nLIGHT brand in networking environments at technical conferences and trade shows.
- Provide market feedback to product managers for application trends and competitive benchmarking regionally and globally (NA, EU, China, ROW).
- Up to 50% travel required, including international.
- Present at regional and global conferences and trade shows
- Support regional and global sales teams with joint visits to key accounts
- Provide onsite process troubleshooting or applications training for strategic customers
- 10+ years of experience in cutting, welding, and other laser-based manufacturing processes
- Recognized as a subject matter expert in laser-metal processing.
- Technical knowledge of industrial lasers, beam delivery systems, and integrated laser system architecture.
- Advanced programming skills with G-code, KUKA, Fanuc, ABB, Yaskawa.
- Demonstrated problem solving abilities in high-stress, down-production situations.
- Experience with design of experiments and statistical process control.
- Demonstrated project management experience successfully executing multiple concurrent programs within demanding schedule and budget constraints.
- Proven presentation skills in large technical forums of subject-matter peers.
- Accomplished technical writing skills.
nLIGHT is subject to US Export Control regulations. To qualify for this position, a Foreign Person (that is, not a US Citizen or legal Permanent Resident) must be eligible for a deemed export license under the US Department of Commerce and/or the US Department of State.
nLIGHT is an Equal Opportunity Employer, including protected veterans and people with disabilities. For more information, please see the EEO is the Law poster from the federal government: dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf
nLIGHT is a rapidly growing vertically integrated supplier of high-performance lasers that enable innovation in materials processing, microelectronics and defense applications. nLIGHT develops and manufactures fiber lasers based on industry-leading semiconductor laser and optical fiber technology. nLIGHT is headquartered in Vancouver, Washington with additional sites in North America, Europe, and Asia. We're committed to working together to deliver breakthrough solutions that helps our customers innovate and grow.
Apply for this position