Electrical Component Engineer
The Electrical Component Engineer supports the Electrical and Test Engineering teams in the management, selection, and technical qualification of a broad spectrum of electronic components used within nLIGHT’s high-power industrial laser systems. In addition, the Electrical Component Engineer will be responsible for maintaining the electrical component database library, consisting of manufacturer part numbers, datasheets, alternate components, schematic symbols, and PCB footprints.
- Provide technical guidance on the selection of electronic components used on nLIGHT’s custom printed circuit assemblies.
- Investigate and recommend alternate components to improve manufacturability, cost, quality, and reliability of electronic assemblies and systems.
- Develop and enforce a disciplined approach to electronic component selection, documentation, and qualification.
- Work closely with supply chain, development engineers, quality control, and contract manufacturers to address and mitigate the adverse impact of component obsolescence or change in supplier.
- Maintain electrical component database—adding or changing component data, as well as PCB symbols and footprints.
- Accurately track component usage on various printed circuit assemblies or system to be able to determine the impact of obsolescence or alternate suppliers/components.
- Participate in continuous improvement activities for existing products, as well as future development opportunities.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering
- 2-4 years relevant experience in working with electronic circuit assemblies.
- Able to read and understand PCB schematics, assembly drawings, and technical notes.
- Able to interpret and understand manufacturer data sheets for both passive and active electronic components.
- Experience with Altium (preferred) software or similar electrical design software
- Experience with component library management (symbols, footprints, and associated data) in a mainstream electrical design software tool.
- Proficiency with revision control tools (SVN, CSV, GitHub, etc,)
- Demonstrated experience in electronic component specification, procurement, qualification (PPAP), and product release processes (ECN)
- Familiar with high level component design and integration.
- Must be able to define problems, collect data, establish facts, draw valid conclusions, and demonstrate the ability to determine critical parameters and develop process controls.
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Demonstrated ability in technical writing and oral communication; must be able to write and understand routine reports, follow oral or written instructions, and speak effectively
- Demonstrated organizational skills, with the ability to handle and prioritize multiple projects simultaneously in a timely manner in a fast-paced environment.
- Familiar with databases and database programming languages (Access, SQL, etc).
- 3+ years’ experience in printed circuit board assembly (PCBA) layout
- Hands-on experience with PCBAs, and the design, test, and/or troubleshooting thereof.
- 5+ years’ experience in the manufacturing industry.
- Experience with multiple end-to-end product development cycles.
- Self-starting, detail-oriented, and organized individual.
nLIGHT is subject to US Export Control regulations. To qualify for this position, a Foreign Person (that is, not a US Citizen or legal Permanent Resident) must be eligible for a deemed export license under the US Department of Commerce and/or the US Department of State.
Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or age. For more information about our commitment to equal employment opportunity, please see these government posters: “EEO is the Law” and its accompanying temporary supplement. If you are an individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation in the application or hiring process, please contact Human Resources at (360) 566-4460 or Hr@nlight.net.
nLIGHT is a rapidly growing vertically integrated supplier of high-performance lasers that enable innovation in materials processing, microelectronics and defense applications. nLIGHT develops and manufactures fiber lasers based on industry-leading semiconductor laser and optical fiber technology. nLIGHT is headquartered in Vancouver, Washington with additional sites in North America, Asia and Europe. nLIGHT lasers are not only changing the way things are made, but what can be made. Apply for this position