Sr. Product Development Mechanical Engineer
nLIGHT is a rapidly growing publicly listed company (NASDAQ: LASR). nLIGHT is a global leader in high-power semiconductor and fiber lasers for industrial, microfabrication, aerospace, and defense applications. Headquartered in Vancouver, WA, nLIGHT employs over 1,000 people with operations in the U.S., China, and Finland.
nLIGHT is searching for a Product Development Mechanical Engineer to work within a multidisciplinary team focused on the design, documentation, and release to production of high-power solid-state lasers and laser systems.
- Contribute to and/or lead mechanical design efforts in the development of new laser systems, products, and assembly tooling.
- Work with advanced technology and product development teams to establish and qualify processes for diode laser assembly and test procedures.
- Conduct thermal and mechanical stress modeling for high precision opto-mechanical assemblies.
- Work with relevant vendors to evaluate new product designs to reduce cost and complexity.
- Plan and execute design verification test protocols including environmental and accelerated life testing.
- Adapt established and innovative low-cost manufacturing concepts to laser product designs.
- Devise, design and build, and qualify robust tooling and process equipment suitable for manufacturing.
- Minimum of BS degree in Mechanical Engineering, Physics, or comparable field of study and at least 5- 7 years of experience in a product development environment in a mechanical engineering role.
- Proficiency with SolidWorks, engineering drawing practices, and GD&T.
- Demonstrated experience with both machinery and product design.
- Ability to conduct engineering analyses including advanced materials selection, thermal and mechanical modeling, mechanical and /or optical tolerances, assembly and test equipment evaluation.
- Experience with low cost, high quality manufacturing techniques. Ideal candidates will have a history of adapting technologies from other industries to lower-volume manufacturing models.
- Candidate shall be highly organized and detail-oriented with clear and professional written and oral communication skills.
- Candidate shall be self-motivated and able to work with minimal guidance in the areas of defining specifications and requirements, assuring customer needs are addressed, and delivering fully documented solutions.
Exceptional candidates will have
- Development experience with high heat load electronic or laser assemblies.
- Experience with precision opto-mechanical design and optoelectronic packaging.
- Experience with optical adhesives, solder attachment, and/or semiconductor packaging.
- Experienced with New Product Introduction (NPI) and product qualification practices.
- Experience with ANSYS analysis software.
- Experience with LabVIEW or other data acquisition and instrumentation software.
- Experience with ZEMAX or other optical design software.
nLIGHT is subject to US Export Control regulations. To qualify for this position, a Foreign Person (that is, not a US Citizen or legal Permanent Resident) must be eligible for a deemed export license under the US Department of Commerce and/or the US Department of State.
Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or age. For more information about our commitment to equal employment opportunity, please see these government posters: “EEO is the Law” and its accompanying temporary supplement. If you are an individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation in the application or hiring process, please contact Human Resources at (360) 566-4460 or Hr@nlight.net. Apply for this position