Sr. Mechanical Engineer
nLIGHT is a rapidly growing publicly listed company (NASDAQ: LASR). nLIGHT is a global leader in high-power semiconductor and fiber lasers for industrial, microfabrication, aerospace, and defense applications. Headquartered in Vancouver, WA, nLIGHT employs over 1,000 people with operations in the U.S., China, and Finland.
nLIGHT is searching for a Sr Mechanical Engineer to work within a multidisciplinary team to design and document opto-mechanical laser components, assembly tooling and production equipment.
- Adapt established and innovative low-cost manufacturing concepts to laser product designs
- Devise, design and build robust tooling and process equipment suitable for reliable high-volume manufacturing
- Define user interfaces and overall system layouts
- Execute verification test protocols that include environmental and accelerated life testing
- Oversee the procurement of engineering and prototype parts
- Thermal and mechanical stress modeling for high precision opto-mechanical assemblies.
- Minimum of BS degree in mechanical engineering.
- Experience with low cost, high quality manufacturing techniques. Ideal candidates will have a history of adapting technologies from other industries to influence new designs.
- Strong ability to conduct engineering analyses including heat transfer, thermal modeling, stress/strain behavior and materials selection
- Demonstrated experience with both machinery and product design
- Detailed understanding of machining tools, methods and capabilities
- Knowledge of Mil-Spec guidelines and testing for product design
- Knowledge of industry fabrication methods including platings, cooling, hermeticity.
- Demonstrated experience of introducing products from prototype to volume manufacturing.
Exceptional candidates will have:
- 5 years of development experience with high-power laser and optical assemblies.
- Detailed understanding of precision opto-mechanical design and fine mechanisms
- Experience with low outgassing adhesives and similar joining methods used in optical modules.
- Proficiency with Solidworks and engineering drawing practices including tolerance analysis and working understanding of GD&T
- Candidate shall be highly organized and detail-oriented with clear and professional written and oral communication skills
- Experienced with New Product Introduction (NPI) and product qualification practices.
nLIGHT is subject to US Export Control regulations. To qualify for this position, a Foreign Person (that is, not a US Citizen or legal Permanent Resident) must be eligible for a deemed export license under the US Department of Commerce and/or the US Department of State.
Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or age. For more information about our commitment to equal employment opportunity, please see these government posters: “EEO is the Law” and its accompanying temporary supplement. If you are an individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation in the application or hiring process, please contact Human Resources at (360) 566-4460 or Hr@nlight.net. Apply for this position