NPI Process Development Engineer
nLIGHT is seeking a NPI Process Development Engineer to join our Process Engineering team at Vancouver, Washington location.
Enable next generation of fiber lasers through process development and supporting transition from concept to high volume manufacturing. Drive continuous improvement activities in a manufacturing environment of released products, support production as appropriate and coordinate effectively with a wide range of cross functional groups.
- Build new fiber laser product lines as part of a key strategy in a vertically integrated organization
- Lead and execute process development and improvement projects from conception to completion.
- Identify recent external advancements in appropriate technical field, and qualify into production as capable processes.
- Support transition of new products from prototype to volume production utilizing DFSS and DFM.
- Drive continuous improvement opportunities and yield metrics utilizing a wide variety of analytical techniques such as SPC, DOE, Gauge R&R, lean manufacturing and six sigma concepts.
- Support manufacturing of released processes and products including generating BOMs and routes, documenting work instructions and support training of personnel.
- Evaluate, procure, and qualify new manufacturing equipment and tools.
- Direct daily activities of engineering technicians
- Masters degree in Engineering (Optical, Electrical, Chemical, Mechanical, Physics) or exceptional industrial experience in closely related technologies. (PhD preferred)
- 3-5 years of recent experience in process or product development of lasers, optics or related discipline.
- Experience setting up new product lines, and proven track record of transitioning into volume production
- Hands on working experience with optical fibers, lasers, optics and precision opto-mechanical systems and tools.
- Strong record of problem solving through structured methodologies (lean and Six Sigma) and implementing robust processes and systems.
- Situational leadership skills and ability to work with cross functional & multi-site teams effectively.
- Project Management experience
- Experience with mechanical drawings, basic tooling and fixture design.
- Experience with setting up new product lines, and transitioning into volume production.
- ASQ Six Sigma Green Belt, Black Belt preferred
nLIGHT is subject to US Export Control regulations. To qualify for this position, a Foreign Person (that is, not a US Citizen or legal Permanent Resident) must be eligible for a deemed export license under the US Department of Commerce and/or the US Department of State.
Equal Opportunity Employer, including protected veterans and people with disabilities. For more information, please see the EEO is the Law poster from the federal government: dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf
nLIGHT is a rapidly growing vertically integrated supplier of high-performance lasers that enable innovation in materials processing, defense, and medical applications. nLIGHT develops and manufactures direct diode and fiber lasers based on industry-leading semiconductor laser and optical fiber technology. nLIGHT is headquartered in Vancouver, Washington with additional sites in North America, Europe, and Asia. We're committed to working together to deliver breakthrough solutions that help innovate and grow our customers' needs. Apply for this position