nLIGHT is a vertically integrated supplier of high-performance lasers that enable innovation in materials processing, microelectronics and defense applications. nLIGHT develops and manufactures fiber lasers based on industry-leading semiconductor laser and optical fiber technology. nLIGHT is a publicly held company headquartered in Vancouver, Washington with additional sites in North America, Asia and Europe. nLIGHT lasers are not only changing the way things are made, but what can be made.
nLIGHT is seeking a Senior Buyer. The Senior Buyer’s primary responsibilities are to work with the Purchasing Manager and Supply Chain Manager on ensuring costs, inventory, and supply assurance are aligned with the company goals. This position will be responsible for electrical, mechanical, optical or equipment commodities from domestic and global sources. The senior buyer role includes coordinating with strategic sourcing management, program managers, engineering, and quality to assure preferred suppliers are aligned to meet the company growth profile. This position requires the ability to develop a competitive environment within the supply base and to make sourcing decisions based on total cost of ownership considerations.
- Prepare, analyze, and make sourcing selections consistent with commodity strategy and contract requirements
- Evaluate and maintain MRP for assigned items and ensure system validity and integrity are maintained
- Coordinate incoming material to meet demand, including issuing purchase orders, expediting, and managing reschedule messages to minimize inventory and maximize production flexibility
- Maintain communication with suppliers in order to monitor purchase order delivery, shipment tracking, short or late shipments
- Negotiate and mitigate price increases, expedite fees, and cancellation costs
- Support execution of commercial agreements to reach lowest total cost including terms to mitigate economic and currency fluctuations
- Participate in cross-functional teams chartered with improving supplier performance, executing corrective actions, and drive continuous improvement through the supply base
- Acts as a conduit between suppliers and nLIGHT personnel to resolve delivery, quality, and/or technical issues
- Work directly with the sales, planners, and production teams on material requirements
- Manage disposition of rejected, excess, and obsolete parts in accordance with company policy
- Coordinate resolution of invoice discrepancies
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Develop and present sourcing options and recommendations to internal customers
- Collaborate with peers and management to determine key goals and objectives, and corresponding metrics, to be completed during a determined period and amend these actions as appropriate. Focus on timely achievement of these goals and objectives.
- Improve internal and external customer satisfaction
- Create new and revise existing procurement and cross-functional processes to accomplish best-practices
- Comply with Supply Chain and Purchasing procedures.
- Be able to work in a team environment and demonstrate nLIGHT Leadership Principles.
- Bachelor’s degree in supply chain, manufacturing operations, business administration, or operations management or 7 years of equivalent experience
- Self-driven, analytical, results oriented, and motivated to work effectively without direct supervision
- Knowledge and understanding of government regulations (FAR/DFAR/ITAR/CAS).
- Able to analyze supplier’s proposals and write cost and price analyses according to FAR Part 15, Table 15-2.
- Possessing the following leadership characteristics: handling ambiguity; flexibility; integrity; leading change; learning agility; strategic agility; data-driven decision making; and vision.
- Team oriented – must be an active participant and willing to step in for other commodities as needed
- Ability to logically solve problems and to keep projects moving in an orderly and structured fashion to maintain schedule requirements by analyzing inputs from various sources
- Strong work ethic and organization skills with the ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks
- Effective interpersonal and negotiation skills
- Ability to make decisions and solve practical problems with a variety of variables in situations where standardization may be limited
- Ability to interface at all levels. Excellent communication skills both written and oral
- Ability to successfully manage long term, complex supplier relationships.
- Work collaboratively with internal customers (Program Management, Engineering, and Quality).
- Participate in program and commodity supply chain procurement reviews.
- A working knowledge of an ERP/MRP environment and Purchasing Best Practices
- AX experience is a plus
- Due to programs and projects this position supports, the candidate must be a US Citizen
nLIGHT is subject to US Export Control regulations. To qualify for this position, a Foreign Person (that is, not a US Citizen or legal Permanent Resident) must be eligible for a deemed export license under the US Department of Commerce and/or the US Department of State.
Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or age. For more information about our commitment to equal employment opportunity, please see these government posters: “EEO is the Law” and its accompanying temporary supplement. If you are an individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation in the application or hiring process, please contact Human Resources at (360) 566-4460 or Hr@nlight.net. Apply for this position