Sr. Electrical Engineer
nLIGHT is a rapidly growing publicly listed company (NASDAQ: LASR). nLIGHT is a global leader in high-power semiconductor and fiber lasers for industrial, microfabrication, aerospace, and defense applications. Headquartered in Vancouver, WA, nLIGHT employs over 1,000 people with operations in the U.S., China, and Finland.
nLIGHT is a leader in the design, development and production of innovative laser technologies and products. We are currently seeking a Sr. Electrical Engineer who will own the design of electrical subsystems for high energy laser systems in support of new product development and lead Electrical Engineering system trade off discussions with partners - mechanical, software, system and product engineering. Design goals are light weight laser systems including intelligent/novel power distribution, efficient Laser Diode Driver designs, and compact digital/analog control PCBAs.
- Own the overall laser driver electrical architecture. This includes microcontroller selection, power condition and distribution, safety considerations, and thermal management.
- Design and implementation of novel, light weight, Laser Diode Drivers.
- Define electrical requirements and refine with the broader team and Government and DoD prime customers.
- Design circuit boards, power delivery systems, and safety circuits as needed to deliver laser products.
- Lead the electrical technical content of product level design reviews and electrical specific code reviews.
- Formulate and produce complete electrical design packages including detailed schematics, cable routing diagrams, panel layouts, bills of materials and material requisition forms
- Lead Integration, Assembly and Test activities
- Compliance testing and certification for international safety standards, EMC, and applicable MIL-STD’s
- BS or MS in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering or similar discipline
- Commitment to Excellence. Attention to Detail. Pride in Workmanship
- 5+ years’ experience as an Electrical Engineer
- Effectively manage schedule and priorities with minimal daily direction
- Experience with laser diode drive electronics
- Experience in power systems and batteries – power electronics and power conditioning
- Strong troubleshooting skills related to complex electro-optic systems
- Experience with schematic capture and layout tools (Altium Designer preferred)
- Highly organized and detail-oriented with clear and professional written and oral communication skills
Exceptional candidates will have
- Familiarity with conductive electronics cooling techniques
- Vendor management experience
- Development experience with high-power laser and optical assemblies.
- Experience managing other engineers and directing their day-to-day activities
- Experience qualifying systems to complex MIL-STDs
Candidate must be a US citizen to be considered.
Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or age. For more information about our commitment to equal employment opportunity, please see these government posters: “EEO is the Law” and its accompanying temporary supplement. If you are an individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation in the application or hiring process, please contact Human Resources at (360) 566-4460 or Hr@nlight.net. Apply for this position